FAQs Frequently Asked Questions

What should I do at the scene of an auto accident?

  1. Stop your car.
  2. Remain calm.
  3. Determine if there are injuries and call for medical assistance if needed.
  4. Do not block traffic. Move your vehicle as far off the roadway as possible. Stay at the scene and warn other motorists by activating your hazard lights or setting flares.
  5. Call the police to report the accident. Ask the investigating officer where you will be able to obtain a copy of the police report.
  6. Do not admit fault or liability. Discuss the accident only with the police and your NYCM Insurance claim representative.
  7. If possible, at the scene, exchange names, phone numbers, and license numbers of all the drivers, passengers and witnesses to the accident, including pedestrians, bicyclists, etc. Always write down the make, model, and license plate numbers of the other vehicles. Ask all drivers for their insurance company information such as name of company (not name of agent) and policy number.
  8. Record details of the accident. Document the accident as much as possible while the details are still fresh in your mind. If possible, photograph the accident scene.
  9. Contact your insurance company or us at 315.853.5052 immediately to report the accident and provide all of the information you have collected.

What should I do after I report an auto claim?

The company usually likes to inspect damage prior to repair so unless it has been oked by the company please do not repair or replace damaged items until the company has a chance to look at it. If you choose to use a shop approved by your company you may not need to wait for the adjuster—ask your shop for details.

Any accident with total damage exceeding $1000 or with any injury is required to be reported to NY State with an MV-104 form. Access to the MV-104 form on the DMV website by clicking here.

Also, if anyone was injured or was treated at the scene you need to advise our office or the company as soon as possible. Your policy should pay your medical regardless of fault but before they can do so they will need you to complete and return the No-Fault application that they will send directly to you.

In the event your vehicle is a total loss you will need to remove all of your personal property from the car as soon as possible—this includes the license plates.  If you plan to replace the car immediately you can keep the plates to transfer to the new vehicle.  If you are not planning to replace the car soon you should turn in the plates to the DMV and bring us the receipt so that we can remove the insurance from the car.

If there is a bank listed on your policy but you have paid off the loan, get us the lien release so we can remove the bank. When there is a bank loan on the vehicle the claim check will be made payable to both you and the bank.

Property Claims

I had a property claim, what should I do after I report it?

The company usually likes to inspect damage prior to repair so unless it has been approved by the company please do not repair or replace damaged items until the company has a chance to come out and look, or they approve.

You should:

  • Do what you can to prevent further damage, this may include temporary repairs.
  • If water damage, drying is a priority to avoid mold.
  • Take detailed photos and/or video (with time/date stamp).
  • Inventory the damaged items and keep track of expenses.
  • Get an estimate to repair, replace and/or clean up.
  • Do not throw away property that will be part of a claim (if forced to by municipality then at least keep samples or swatches of items where quality will be a claims factor - in addition to color photos).
  • If a crime was committed, contact the authorities.
  • Keep all claim detail and records in a secure location to share with the adjuster.

FAQs Disability

ShelterPoint policyholders, get your claim management app here

Learn about the ShelterPoint Claim Portal Mobile App on YouTube.

This mobile app is now available for all employees covered by ShelterPoint Life’s DBL/PFL, who go out on disability or take Paid Family Leave.  Download and start using it today!


FAQs Paid Family Leave

Since most of our Paid Family Leave (PFL) clients are with ShelterPoint, we are sharing their instructions here. If you are with NYSIF the instruction charts should still be helpful to you, but please use the forms and addresses for NYSIF below.

To help understand what forms and documentation you need for your PFL, review this chart from ShelterPoint.

The road maps below will help you determine the steps you need to take to properly file for PFL based on your particular situation:

When you’re ready to file, use the forms below. ShelterPoint claim forms for:

NYSIF Claim forms for:

Visit ShelterPoint for more information on Paid Family Leave and if you’re a NYSIF customer, visit the following links for for NYSIF Employers and Employee information.

Mailing Addresses

Before submitting your PFL forms, make sure to make and keep a copy for your records.

New York State Insurance Fund Document Control Center – NYSIF Disability Benefits
1 Watervliet Ave Ext
Albany, NY 12206-1649

ShelterPoint Life Insurance Company
1225 Franklin Avenue, Ste 475
Garden City, NY 11530

FAQs Workers' Compensation

  • See this website for what to do when an accident happens:
    (some minor claims do not need to be reported outside your office, but records must be kept in your office)
  • You will need to provide this packet to the injured person:
    (NYS law requires that you provide this packet)
  • To report a claim you can go to your company's website or call them. Find your company here, you will need your policy number and information about the employee and their injury. The C-2F form, below, will help you compile that information for easier reporting.
  • If your insurer does not submit accident information electronically, on your behalf, to the Workers Compensation Board, then you will also need to file this C-2F form with New York State:
    http://www.wcb.ny.gov/content/main/forms/c2F.pdf    (Instructions)
    (NYS law requires that a C-2F form be filed with the company and Workers Compensation Board within 10 days of the injury, unless it is a minor claim that need not be reported - see the first link above to determine. Either way, you will need to complete this form, even if only for your own records.)
  • The WCB no longer accepts C-2, C-669, C-7 and C-8/C 8.6 forms. Information from these forms should now be submitted electronically through your insurer as First Report of Injury FROI-00, FROI-04 or Subsequent Report of Inury (SROI) reports.
  • Your insurance company may then follow-up with you for additional information such as:
    Employer's Wage Statement (C-240) - a record of the claimant's earnings during the 52 weeks prior to the accident, to determine the weekly compensation rate, taking into account seasonal or irregular work, concurrent employment, and days worked each week.
    Employer's Report of Injured Employee's Change in Employment Status (C-11) - You must report any change in a claimant's status as soon as it occurs. This includes return to work, discontinuance of work, decrease in regular working hours, or reduction of wages.
    Employer's Request for Reimbursement (C-107) - An employer's advance payments of compensation to an injured employee are reimbursed from unpaid compensation due the employee if the C-107 is filed before the Worker's Compensation Board makes a compensation award.

Travelers Insurance MyTravelers® For Injured Employees

MyTravelers® For Injured Employees is a web-based tool that allows for injured employees to have a centralized point of contact for workers' compensation claims. It offers:

  • Customized content tailored to each injured employee’s specific needs
  • Fast and easy provider search
  • Insight into the workers compensation process and what to expect
  • The convenience of accessing workers compensation tools and resources through mobile, tablet or desktop
  • Notifications of status updates and payment information
  • Easy-to-understand information on payments made to the injured employee for lost wages, mileage reimbursement, payments to medical providers, etc.
  • Real-time electronic communication between injured employees and Claim professionals

Watch this video or download this document to learn more.